- This article refers to flares that are usable by all classes. To read about the Scout's Utility Tool, see Flare Gun.
|“||A flare on steroids! Powerful enough to light up even the darkest of caves, and sure to put a gleam in the eye of even the most dour dwarf. What's not to love?|
|— High-Intensity Flare Description|
|“||A souped-up version of the standard issue DRG Emergency Flare. It lights up brighter and stays lit for longer - the best of both worlds. Note: DRG is not liable for any damages caused by irate local fauna exposed to unfamiliar lights for too long.|
|— Medium-Intensity Flare Description|
Flares are throwable, temporary light sources that are crucial to surviving in the caverns of Hoxxes IV.
By default, Flares are thrown using the F key on a keyboard and the B button on a controller. After throwing a flare, it will bounce around on surfaces, typically settling at the bottom of caverns. Flares regenerate over time, and up to four can be held at once.
There are 3 stages in a flare: full strength, partly burned out, and completely burned out. A thrown flare will be at full strength and will emit a glow and light. A full strength flare will provide light for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, the light source will die down to a small glow, becoming a partly burned out flare. After at least 20 seconds it will be a completely burned out flare, emitting no glow or light.
While Gunner and Scout have High-Intensity Flares, Engineer and Driller have Medium-Intensity Flares. There is no difference between these two types, despite their names. The color of the flare will match the color of the class that threw it: Red for Engineer, Blue for Scout, Green for Gunner, and Yellow for Driller.
Previously these were the two tiers with one upgrade each. Anyone that had purchased these upgrades prior to update 1.0 hotfix 1 have been refunded the money and materials spent.
|Mod||In Game Description||Effect||Price|
|"Increase the total amount of flares"||+1 Max Flares (total of four)|
|"The light lasts longer"||+5 Duration (total of 30)|
- In the closed alpha version of the game, flares were limited and didn't regenerate over time. Once the supply of flares ran out, the dwarves had to rely on their headlights to survive.
- Medium-Intensity Flares were previously called Red Flares.
- Medium-Intensity Flares originally had a lower light radius when compared to High-Intensity Flares.
- Pages using Tabber parser tag