I'm proud of you. You've done well for yourself since you joined the Company. I recall you joining up as a scrawny greenbeard, and figured you'd join the dead down in the deeps in short order.
However, consider my position changed... you've grown into your role and have more than proven yourself.
It's my personal pleasure to announce that management has granted your promotion. Rock and Stone, miner! Well done.
- Mission Control
Promotions become available when the player reaches level 25 on any class and have completed all prerequisite Promotion Assignments. It acts as a prestige system for players who have hit the max level on their class and want to continue gaining XP for their class. Previously unlocked items and upgrades will not reset upon promoting a class. The Promotion terminal can be found in the Memorial Hall.
After paying a fee, promoting a class will grant the following bonuses for that specific class:
- +1 Honor Badge
- +1 Active Perk Slot (once per Class only)
- Ability to continue leveling the Character Level for that Class by resetting the level back to 1 and increase Player Rank for Prestige Assignments
- Each promotion (Except for the first one) will also reward a Blank Matrix Core, one Weapon Overclock and a Matrix Core Cosmetic
- Permanent ability to activate Machine Events with the Tritilyte Key for all Class
- New Assignments: Breach The Core and the Weekly Core Hunt
- Access to Deep Dives and The Forge
The player is granted an Honor Badge upon their first promotion; it borders the character portrait with a bronze border and one white star. Every subsequent promotion will add another white star, for a maximum of three stars. After the fourth promotion, the border switches from bronze to silver, and the amount of white stars will reset back to 1. Upon reaching three more promotions, the border switches from silver to gold; then from gold to platinum; then from platinum to diamond; then finally from diamond to legendary; the highest border for the Honor Badge. Promotions after that will not change the border, however will still allow the player to continue leveling their Character Level.
The list of Honor Badges goes as follows:
Benefits From Multiple Promotions
Beyond the first promotion, which unlocks an Active Perk Slot, Deep Dive and Machine Events access, there are no game-changing benefits. Honor Badges only represent time a player has put into their class. Promotions should be purchased as soon as possible, as players will not receive further XP towards their Character Level once they reach level 25. It also helps increase the Player Rank which unlocks Prestige Assignments and rank titles.
- Promotions were known as Retirement in Update 18: Job Opportunities and changed in Update 19. Instead of keeping all unlocked class items, Retirement reset all unlocked class items.
- Update 30: Going 1.0 added three more Honor Badge: Platinum, Diamond and Legendary.