|— The Dwarves when marking a chunk of Compressed Gold|
Gold is a bonus resource located in all current mission types. When mined and deposited, it will give a credits reward at the end of the mission. Its current use is solely to give extra credits and EXP for mining at the end of the mission.
Gold can be found in five forms:
- In cave wall surface ore veins, similar to Nitra or Morkite
- Dropped by Loot Bugs and Huuli Hoarders
- Awarded from Lost Packs and Cargo Crates
- In a massive ore vein created from a Glyphid Crassus Detonator
- In a compressed form, embedded within the rock and indicated by flakes of gold on the wall exterior
Gold awards 2 and 2 per unit (credits affected by Hazard Bonus multipliers). A chunk of compressed gold is worth a random amount of gold units between 150–250 (awards at base 300–500 and 300–500 ).
The Gold Rush Mutator drastically increases the size of gold veins that spawn in the caves.
As a vein, it is a shiny, brownish-yellow material with a metallic sheen, easily spotted once lit up but usually hidden in the pitch black.
In its compressed form, it takes the shape of a large chunk of ore which must be carried by hand, while also giving off a distinctive golden glow. Small gold markings/pieces dot the wall where it is hidden inside. Compressed chunks use the same model as Aquarq, Bittergem, and Jadiz.
Gold in both of its forms can be found in any environment. Its compressed form is much more rare, being generated on average every one in three maps.
In its vein form it is very common and can be found spread across the walls in relatively small veins, sometimes located high up near the ceiling.
In its compressed form it is inside the cave wall and must be located with small gold pieces dotting the wall where it hides.
- Gold used to be the primary objective mineral during the Closed Alpha version of the game, with the Drop Pod landing immediately after 1000 gold had been mined.
- Marking a chunk of compressed gold will cause all classes to say, "We're rich!"
- As of Season 3: Plaguefall, if you continuously spam your laser pointer on compressed gold, Mission Control will comment on it.